Day 1 – What to Do on Your Minne-Roadtrip to Northfield, MN
- A walking tour of Northfields Historic Sites
- Shopping & strolling
For history lovers, I suggest the Historic Sites and Points of Interest self-guided walking tour (map are at the museum). There are 25 spots in historic downtown such as Bridge Square, which is the original town site, the Queen Anne style Central Block Building which is Northfield’s largest building, and the Eastlake style Nutting Buiding which used to be an industrial knitting operation.
For shoppers, there are plenty of shops to check out like antique, art, boutique, and specialty. Be sure to check out The Goat’s arts and antiques, Makeshift Accessories steampunkish items made from cultural and industrial artifacts, and the fine and funky art of Swag.
By mid-afternoon, it should be time to check into the French Second Empire style Archer House River Inn. Instead of walking down the street, stroll along the river walk to the back entrance. The boutique hotel was built in 1877 and has 11 cozy rooms which come with a full or queen-sized bed, 11 large rooms which have a queen-sized bed and a deep soaking tub, five executive rooms which has either two queens or one queen and one full and a large soaking tub, three two-room suites with a king or two queens and a sleeper sofa and soaking tub, and on the fourth floor is the largest suite which has a king bedroom and a great room, plus two rooms with queen beds and private bathrooms. The property has free Wi-Fi, 24-hour access workout room, cable television and has some pet-friendly rooms.
Each room is themed, and my cozy room was the Prarie House and had a view of the main street in town (Division Street). The furnishings matched the hotel’s historic vibe, and my super comfy queen-sized bed had a comforter with dainty flowers which matched the prairie theme.
Take some time to relax, and decide if you want a lively or a more low key evening.
Froggy Bottoms River Pub has lots of character.
Day 2 – What to Do on Your Minne-Roadtrip to Northfield, MN
- For the local and student hang out head to Goodbye Blue Monday Coffee House. (Hours: Daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Closed Christmas and Thanksgiving.)
- Sweet tooths head to Cake Walk.(Hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- On Saturdays, head to the Riverwalk Market Fair and buy a baked good to enjoy next to the Cannon River.
Enjoy a leisurely morning. Check out the shops you missed, read a book next to the river, or a short ride away, hike the trails at the 800-acre Cowling Arboretum (referred to as the Arb) at Carlton College.
- Sidewalk Poetry Walking Tour
- The Garden of Quiet Listening
- The Outlaw Trail
- Goodsell Observatory
- Northfield Arts Guild
- Norwegian-American Historical Association
- Fireside Orchard & Garden
- Lorences’ Berry Farm
- AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Northfield
- Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield
- College City Motel
- The Contended Cottage B & B
- The Magic Door
- Froggy Bottoms River Suites